Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 61- June 19th


Well, today I spent most of my day with a stomach flu... :( yeah, definitely my lowest point on the trail... I just want to say before I start, that's if it wasn't for Claire, I would've been in some serious trouble today. Stranded and alone, and probably pretty close to passing out. But let me back up a little bit, we'll get to the bad stuff later..

Today we left the river shortly after 7:15am. Even though Claire woke up at 5:00 and I at 5:45, it takes a little longer for us to pack up with the huge bear canisters in our packs. Claire's pack is bulging to the max at 41 lbs. The top of her pack sticks out more than its supposed to. She sort of looks like a backpack with legs:


We climbed 2000 ft by 10am and that's when everything started going downhill for me. I was drinking plenty of water, but I was getting extremely tired and emotional. My stomach was churning and I felt like a mess. We took many breaks for my sake and our progress became slow. 

We kept going up and up, and I kept getting slower and slower. We took many breaks in a pretty neat burn area. This was definitely the most beautiful burn I'd seen so far. There was a little bit of water trickling down through this valley, and everything felt alive though severed.




At noon, after taking almost an hour to walk less than a mile, we knew something was seriously wrong. At this point I was so weak I couldn't lift my pack. I had no energy but I had eaten a bunch of food in the morning, as well as a few snacks since, so I knew I wasn't hungry. 

I felt very nauseous like I had to throw up but I couldn't bring myself to. I kept drinking water but instantly becoming thirsty again. I felt constipated, my stomach hurt really bad, and I hadn't pee'd all morning.

At 12:30, Claire decided to book it ahead of me down to the next water source at another crossing of the South Fork Kern River. It was still 3.8 miles up a big hill and her plan was to go there, drop her pack, grab some more water, and then come pack to relieve me of my pack. 

Seeing her leave gave me an extra push of energy to try and make it as far as I could. That didn't last very long and in about 30 minutes I had to stop under a tree and the throwing up began...

I violently threw up at least 2 liters of water, and then all the food, and then down to my stomach bile all in one sitting.. I knew I had to try and go a little further and made it 1.3 miles from where Claire left me and then collapsed to the ground. 

I set up my sleeping pad under some shade, but as the sun moved away to start the afternoon, I was soon exposed. I had absolutely no energy. Not even enough to move from the sun and I laid there getting burnt for a little while. My lips were so dry that I kept drinking little bits of water. But 10-20 minutes later I'd throw the water back up.

The sun was hot but I had the chills. I was really really cold. My forehead was on fire, but my cheeks cold as ice. I had goosebumps on my arms and legs, and not even enough energy to go pull some extra layers from my pack.

I had just entered the backcountry and had started into the Sierra, the most beautiful place we've seen yet. And here I was, dying on a bed of pine cones with no cell service and no energy to fight off anything that might come to snoop around my food. Throwing up all my water and at the same time dehydrating from the lack of it. I was so weak and scared, it was the worst I've ever felt physically and mentally.

At about 3:30pm, Claire got back to me. It was WAY faster than I had expected, she had RAN 3.8 miles, mostly uphill, in 1 hour! Talking to her about it later she said she was filled with adrenaline and wanted to get back to me as soon as possible. She helped me collect myself, hoisted my giant 45 lb pack, and we headed towards the river. 

I still had the chills, so I had changed into a long sleeve shirt, even though the sun was still beating hot. My mouth was so dry and my eyes barely open as I dragged myself along the trail. Claire's pace was still 3 times faster than mine even though she was carrying my pack! 

It was 2.5 miles back to the river from where she met back up with me. We had only gone a mile when I had to stop and throw up again. I think this was number 13 or 14. At this point I had no water left in me. I was basically heaving out and choking on super dry saliva and the tiny amount of water I tried to put down after the last episode. 

I knew that I had a little while before the next set, so as fast as I could, we made it down to the river. Coming down the last hill after the ascent, there were some beautiful rolling hills and lovely clouds. Even in my state, I couldn't help but ooh and ahh. Claire took these following pictures while walking down with my pack:

The hills are alive with the sound of puking


Claire had found a perfect spot to camp under a nice tree just a little way from the waters edge. As she set up the tent, I went to the river to rest. I laid down alongside the river, on some grass in the shade, still battling the chills. 


After an hour down there I stumbled back up to the tent. I still had nothing in my stomach food-wise, but I had managed to hold down a few sips of water. I hadn't thrown up for a few hours, since walking with Claire. I figured the worst was over, so before I lay down in bed I ate a plain tortilla.


I hope that I feel better tomorrow. If I don't wake up in an emergency state in the middle of the night I'll be quite pleased. My stomach is no longer twisting, and although I have no energy, I feel a bit better.

Today I walked 9.79 miles, 2.5 of them with no pack. Claire walked/ran 14.79 miles today, and was carrying my pack for 2.5 miles! This girl is amazing. She really stepped up and saved the day today when I was literally helpless. This girl is my world, and the love of my life. Today just added to what I already know: she's a keeper for life :)

-Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I had heard about how sick you both were the last week, but reading this really drove it home. I'm so glad you have each other whether it's knees or broken gear or illness, you have each other's back. Nothing better than that. So glad you are doing better. Hard for a mom to read this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been tough but you're daughter is tougher! Saving my butt always :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures, as always, even taking them when sick.. I love the two trees in the v one burnt the other not.

    So is Claire's new trail name 2pack2 or 2 pack squared? She's amazing that woman!

    Ugh! stomach flu. What a way to celebrate your 2 month trail anniversary!

    Good job finding that sweet camping next to the creek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David...the Sound of Music will never be the same again for me. Thanks. Thanks a lot for this new association. -__-;

    Go Claire! I love how this determined damsel saved the day for her dreadfully distressed dude! You go girl! Well, since 2Pack is already taken and since BeastofBurden is too close to BeastofBurbon how about "Gotchopack" (Got your pack, huh? Eh! Not too shabby!)!

    ReplyDelete