Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 64- June 22nd


This morning my stomach felt really good compared to yesterday. Energy level was still really low but I knew I was going to take it easy. "Mr. Clean" was camped nearby and I went over to barter some of my food for some oatmeal. He gave me 4 packets and insisted he get nothing in return! 

I cooked up one of those, and my stomach didn't fight it. Last night was a mess and that's also how I had left the tent.. Because of all the mosquitos, (even still in the morning!) packing up and organizing the bear cans and filtering more water was extremely slow. We didn't leave Until about 10:45am.

As always our day started with a huge uphill climb. But this time, instead of rushing up it with electrolyte energy, I took my time up, slow and steady, stopping to cook another oatmeal whenever my energy level got too low. This worked out great! I only had to stop and eat oatmeal twice on the trail, and I even held down a few Welches fruit snacks, yum!!

The scenery was SO beautiful today! Instead of straight up and then straight back down, the trail took us through high meadows and traversed around mountains, then up and down passes, all while staying up near 10,000 feet!





The day was warm but not too hot. Still hot enough to wear shorts instead of pants, despite all of my mosquito bites. Between the water source where I rested and last nights campsite, I have over 40 mosquito bites on my body today. There are 20 bites on my right leg alone.. :( I've moved my rain pants and rain jacket to the top of my pack (mosquitos can't bite through rain gear), as well as my head net, so whenever we approach water I can be protected while collecting/filtering. 

That worked pretty well today. I only got 3 or so new bites versus around 40 yesterday. Yuck, mosquitos! Just thinking about our chances of getting some weird disease from them makes us sick!

We did 11.51 miles today, really not bad for the late start and the multiple oatmeal breaks. As I type this at 9:30pm, all my food and water that I consumed today has stayed in my body, and I feel a lot better. No intense stomach pains today. I think working myself back up slowly was the key, and hopefully, this stomach flu is done with! 

Tonight we're camped on a beautiful sandy ridge with no neighbors :)


Man this place is beautiful!

-Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful indeed! Very much enjoyed today's photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you're feeling better. Be careful with overdosing on electrolyte solutions as they can really throw your stomach for a loop. Balance is key.
    -GoalTech

    ReplyDelete