Friday, May 27, 2016

Day 37- May 26th


The PCT roller coaster strikes again! We woke up in our beautiful campground up on the hill, the morning was nice and warm.


We eagerly hit the trail by 8am so we could get to the next water source and the rendezvous with the trail angel to take Claire to Agua Dulce. There was poodle dog left and right but avoidable for the most part.



In just under 7 miles we got to the fire station where we filled up on water. We arrived shortly after 10am. After water we walked down a road to a picnic area, where Claire and I split up the gear. I kept the whole tent, I have her the stove and cook food, and she gave me a little more dry food. 

In order for me to make camp safely, I had to leave Claire just after noon. Her ride was confirmed to arrive between 2:00 and 3:00pm. It felt weird to leave her there, but we were assured everything would work out.

I climbed up and up with Josh as a hiking buddy. I felt like I was on a mission to return to Claire even though we had only just departed ways. This drive caused Josh and I to split, knowing that we'd meet at Messenger Flats campground 12 miles later.


Poodle dog bush ALL. DAY.
It was ridiculous. However, between dodging branches of the stuff to save my skin, I kept catching the most beautiful views that I've seen for a while! The burnt black trees against the white rocks and colorful flowers were astounding.


I hiked fast and hard, racing to a spot to hopefully get some service to check in with Claire that she had made it safely to Agua Dulce. At about 3:00pm I texted her if she was ok. No response, but I figured that was ok as reception back at the picnic area was spotty at best.

At 3:30 I got a little reception again. I checked my phone and saw that Claire had texted, "Still waiting :/ phone battery at 5%"

I thought something might be wrong, so I hiked on quickly until I had enough service to make a call. I called Jodi the trail angel who was to pick up Claire. She didn't answer and I left a message. At 4:30pm I got a text from her saying, "Sorry I'm running really late, my daughter's in the ER."

Oh no!! Not only was that very unfortunate for Jodi, but Claire's phone was dead so she didn't know that she might not get a ride out! My phone was at about 20% but I knew I had to do something. I was able to Google the fire station nearby the picnic area. After a couple calls and a couple explanations, I reached a kind lady named Jessica.

She told me that she would send someone down and see if Claire was still there. The 5 minutes after I hung up felt like an eternity! "What if she wasn't there?" "What if something happened?" "I shouldn't have left her alone, what was I thinking?" "I'm the worst boyfriend ever!" My wild thoughts haunted me. 

I sat and waited. After what felt like an eternity, my phone rang. It was Jessica from the fire station. Claire was still there safe and sound! She let me talk to Claire and Claire told me that Ruth-Anne had also hurt herself and she was looking for a ride to Agua Dulce as well. They were going to call another local trail angel nearby and coordinate some rides.

Whew! Man, what a relief! My baby is safe and on her way to rest and recovery! Everything works itself out! 

I'm in need of some rest soon myself, I've developed two new blisters on the bottom of my feet (a new occurrence for me), and the one in between my toe is not surrendering!


I did 18.71 mile today, 6.71 with Claire and 12.71 solo from noon until 6, (pretty good!) Tonight I'm attempting to cowboy camp for the first time. I'm doing this so I can get a super early start tomorrow, and easily get the 14 miles to the Acton KOA out of the way.

I'm on the table so the snakes can't easily snuggle up.

There are some super cool guys named "Glide" and "Dad" who gave me some of their dry food which helps ease my mind since I ate ALOT today going uphill for the second half of the day.

I should be rolling into Agua Dulce before noon on Saturday where I rendezvous with Claire and hopefully Dad and Micah a little later! Everything works out!

-Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Hard decisions to make on the trail! Hope Jodi's daughter is okay! Thanks to Jessica for helping Claire out, and whoever got her and Ruth-Anne off the mountain! Good thinking to call the fire station, boyfriend! Good thoughts for you and Claire to get some res coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just some suggestions that you may be already doing for Claire's knees.. When going downhill really concentrate on stepping with the ball instead of the heel. This takes the shock out of the knee.. Staying hydrated is key, even when its cold out. Without proper hydration the joints don't have enough lubrication.. Increase your salt intake so that the water you do drink stays in the body and will help oil up those knees. I would seriously think about getting some compression sleeves for the knees also. They will help with circulation and keep the knees warm and toasty.. Just some pointers. Of course staying positive is key and it sounds like you are doing well on that front.. Keep it up, and don't rush, you have plenty of time. Remember this is not the trail of tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh sorry... This is Salt Lick BTW

      Delete
    2. Thanks Salt Lick! I definitely need to be drinking more water. I've been wrapping my knees in ace bandages, which keeps them warm, but some compression sleeves are a great idea. I've noticed walking ball first feels a little less impactful for sure :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Claire is getting some R&R. Glad you evaded being entangled with the nasty poodle dog brush. So...did you roll off the table that night? Just curious. Ha-ha-ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for saving the day my love! Everything does work out! I was cowboy camping over at Hiker Heaven also. There was a lot of condensation on my sleeping bag in the morning, but no snakes or bugs, and the night was beautiful :) I can't wait to be reunited with you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure had an event full week. This particular post made Claire's mama a bit emotional. David I am so glad you look out for her as you do. She texted me a gorgeous photo of one of her nasty blisters. Yikes! Will be good for her to get a couple of days of rest. Trek on.

    ReplyDelete