Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 76- July 4th


Happy 4th of July everyone! I have some sudden news on this special day: Claire and I are leaving the PCT at Mammoth Lakes, mile 906.63

My girl is not the happiest on this trail. Leaving has been a topic for a while now but I've been telling her to wait until the Sierra and see how she feels. I respect how she feels and feel no resentment. I know backpacking for six months isn't for everyone. Ladies, imagine showering only once every 12 days on average! 

I don't want to cause any stress upon Claire. This trail is very tough. I know that she can make it if she really wanted to, but doing something you don't want to do sucks. The passion for the trail has left her, even with the beauty of the Sierra, and I don't want to be wasting the rest of her summer doing something she doesn't want to do for such a long period of time. She likes to backpack, just not for 6 months.

It is true that we are a little behind schedule. The original plan was 5 or 5 1/2 months, the math now would be mayyyybe 6 months. But that's walking around 18 miles a day with no zero/rest days. With just under 1/3 of the trail complete, it's just unrealistic to achieve. 

As it is we find ourselves in the most beautiful place in California, walking alllll day. It's actually a relief to know that we aren't as pressed for time now. We can finally stop for more than 5 minutes and look around, actually taking some of the beauty in, instead of trying to rush to make our miles.

We've thought about me going on and finishing by myself. However, it'd be reaaaally tight on time by this point. I would be uncomfortably poor when I returned. Also, it would mean swapping out some of the most expensive gear like the tent, which is not in my budget. We started this thing together, and I had already decided we either finish together or get off together.

We'll walk 58.13 more miles to Reds Meadow where we'll take a bus into Mammoth Lakes and celebrate over 900 miles on the PCT. That's over 1/3 of the whole thing! While we're there we'll finally take a load off, not stress, and take advantage of the local hot springs! Then we'll fly back to Portland, move into our own space together and start working again. We need to start saving up! Which brings me to my good news:

I plan on coming back to the PCT possibly next summer but most likely the summer after that, 2018. I will be doing the whole thru hike, starting from the Mexican border at Campo again but ending in Canada. Claire is 100% supportive of this idea. She really wants me to do this thing, and she is very sad that she does not feel the same about it. We will both be saving as to coordinate it so that the same summer she can do her final yoga teacher training!

Today I've already been thinking of this hike as a practice run. Gear that I would change. Ways to make my pack lighter. Things I don't really need. What shoes I would start with . Towns I would skip. Alternate places that I would resupply. Going solo I could break camp earlier, be lighter and faster, have longer days, and still enjoy the outdoors.

The hardest part about this whole thing for me is letting all of you down. All of you who are reading this right now. All my family, all my friends, all the strangers who I've never met that have stumbled upon my blog one way or another. I am very sorry and deeply saddened to have let you down. 

That being said I would be greatly honored if you follow me along once again on my journey in the future. For those of you who know me on a personal level; I'm super stubborn and I can't quit something I want to do until I've finished it properly! Mark my words, I'll continually walk the entire Pacific Crest Trail within three years!

We still have 58 miles to go until we finish, and I plan on maintaining a daily blog. It is entirely up to you if you want to keep following along or not. Either way, I deeply appreciate all the support. If I don't know you personally and you want me to let you know when I plan on re-trying the PCT, you can e-mail me at: (me@davidteehee.com), and I will be sure to let you know!

One final note: This trip has been a real learning experience. I don't view these months as a "waste". We've learned so much about focus, integrity, surviving hardships, staying positive, etc. This trail has a way of bringing out and showing exactly what you're made of. I know it's sad we're leaving, but we're leaving stronger than we came. And one day, I'll be back and prove to myself that I can walk from Mexico to Canada!

------ Daily Blog ------

We woke up nice and early. It was an extremely cold morning and yet again, we had terrible condensation. But this time, we had slept with the rain fly off. There's no way to escape the condensation!! 

While packing up, we made the real tough decision that has been explained and detailed above.. 

We soon came across Evolution Creek, supposedly one of the hardest fords on the whole PCT. There are two ways to cross it and we decided to check out the wider, slower flowing crossing. It wasn't bad at all! A nice peaceful flow with a sand bottom through a beautiful meadow. We went in our slippers, something we'd never do on a rapid, rocky river crossing, dried off our feet, and went on our way.

The descent continued from yesterday. Waaaaay down we went. Eventually we crossed a few cool bridges.


On the other side of the last one, we left Sequoia Kings national forest and entered the John Muir wilderness. It was an instant change of scene as we continued down along the beautiful trail. The miles were flying by! We didn't talk much, as we were both thinking about the des icon to go home, and what that meant for our near future.

Eventually we started up some steep switchbacks. You'll never guess who we saw!

Orion!!

Orion had gotten off in Wrightwood after a tough time in the desert. He spent a few weeks with family and decided to start walking again from Walker Pass, about 50 miles before Kennedy Meadows. We had no idea we'd ever see him again but today we came upon him sitting under some shade taking a break.

We caught up with him for about 1/2 an hour, took some pictures and said farewell. It's crazy to think that we started on the same day as him, 75 days ago. He has become a dear friend, and if we're ever in Portland, Maine we'll be hitting him up!

We climbed for the rest of the afternoon up towards selden pass. On the way we saw a few nice lakes but unfortunately were swarmed by mosquitos to the extent that I didn't take very many pictures...



We got up and over the pass by 6:15pm and had a pretty awesome view of the lakes below:


That big lake with all the islands in the middle is called Marie Lake, and we skirted the lake to get to a little campsite on the way down.


The campsite was at 10,253 feet yet there were still tons of mosquitos swarming us. It was hell. We were in full rain gear and headnet, the only things exposed were or hands. Mosquitos swarmed our heads, with at least 20 of them in my field of vision at all times, no matter where I went, what I did, or how frantically I tried to shake them. They were constantly landing on our hands, biting us occasionally. I got some bites through the headnet in my cheek and forehead and neck. They swarmed Claire when she bent over and bother lower back between her pant line and where her jacket stopped. You can imagine that cooking was miserable as well... I'm from Hawaii yet these were still the worst mosquitos I've ever seen!

We did a super long day today, 18.41 miles. The longest yet in the Sierra. With about 3000 feet up and down everyday, and multiple river fords, it's really physically straining on the body. We are tired. Yet feel accomplished!

-Thanks for reading! 

16 comments:

  1. Please don't think you are disappointing anyone.

    Anyone who loves and supports you two are NOT disappointed in your decision to leave the trail for now.

    This is your life and your decisions. To be able to make this decision for BOTH of
    you is fantastic. To be "together" to make this decision is awesome. Most couples
    couldn't do what you're doing!

    The two of you have brought such excitement, dreams, vicarious experiences,
    life lessons and encouragement to the rest of us. You have already done more than most of us have done (or even think of doing).

    We are all with you and for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks momma! Claire and I both love your kind words!

      Delete
  2. We loved you before. We've loved you during. And we'll still love you. I see no failure here. I see attempt #1 with many lessons learned and much knowledge gained.
    I am actually very impressed to see you making a decision that so heavily weighs someone else's wellbeing. I am impressed to see you recognize your stubborness and overcome it by making a tough choice now that will eventually put you in an even better position to accomplish the goal of a thru-hike.
    I love you, you sinewy piece of human jerky!
    ~E2

    ReplyDelete
  3. How appropriate that you made your decision on Independence Day! I admire you for everything your have done. The planning, learning through challenges, illness, gear hurdles, mosquitos, etc. Mostly I have admired how you have done this as a team and allowed us in to share not only the ups and the gorgeousness of nature and humanity, but also the downs. I believe I may have learned quite a few things from you. How cool is that!! Your decision to end now doesn't take away anything from your phenomenal accomplishment. Actually, I think you are demonstrating maturity and the ability to make good life decisions, as a couple. Many more adventures await your two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to hear that! Thank you so much Dona!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kii, Sarah, and Mom, thank you so much for your beautiful sentiments.

    David, you are a wonderful human being. I'm so happy I got to share this experience with you. With your determination and passion for the outdoors I'm confident that you will thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail in its entirety whenever you decide to :) Also, you've done such a beautiful job with the blog and sharing our adventures and the things we've learned. What an accomplishment! Thank you for loving me and going on this amazing journey with me. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like everyone else has said, you are not disappointing anyone. You two have done fantastic! Really an inspiration. Have fun until you get home. Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. David, I have not been able to stay current with reading your blog due to several extenuating circumstances but Lori has been keeping me updated on your adventures! So when she told me of your decision to get off the trail, I was sad for you. But then she explained, & now I have read for myself, all the whys involved in you making this decision & let me tell you right here, right now, this Aunty couldn't be prouder of you!! I have refrained from using the word QUIT, as I don't believe that word exists in your vocabulary!! We all understand your reasons for "taking a break", postponing, and I have so much respect for you for the determination & fortitude you've exhibited on this journey. However, I think the love, care & support you've shown towards Claire is of even more value!! May the two of you enjoy many more adventures, wherever life takes you!! God bless you both!! Much love!! Aunty Max xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Aunty Maxine! Your words are so kind, thank you so much! I've been refraining from using that word too as I feel that it's not an accurate depiction of the end of this learning experience! I hope you feel better soon! Your kind words have definitely made Claire and I feel better about "pausing"!

      Delete
  8. Selfishly speaking I'm sorry to hear this as your blog has turned into one of my favorites from the PCT (and I read many). What a wonderful thought process and decision though. I have so much respect for your putting your girlfriend's needs ahead of your own. I also love how you've already got plan-b in the works. I try to do the same thing when met with disappointment which then leads to something just as good if not better. Great job! I'd love to take you two out to coffee or something when you're back in town if it works out to reconnect from our time on trail. Well done! -GoalTech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, I'm glad you've enjoyed it! We'd love to meet up with you! I've just added you on Facebook

      Delete
  9. Hey guys,
    I have let myself stay "behind" on the blog lately, so I'm just learning of your decision. (When there was a big break between posts I found another PCT blogger, writing of her second trip up the trail back in 2014. She's an ultralight, super fast hiker and I completely wore myself out taking a couple of hikes that my body wasn't ready for - so I took a break from reading the blogs so I wouldn't feel as bummed about the boring work/home/sleep routine 😆). I'm so proud of you both! This has been quite an exercise in team work and there couldn't be a better test to see how well you work together as a long term couple. It will be a slight disappointment to not have the blog to read, but a friend and I are very early in talks about a possible 2018 PCT trek as well... So maybe we can get some training trips in and pick your brain about equipment and preparations ;) Your knowledge and experience will make you the King around PDX!
    Thank you for documenting your trip so fully, sharing with the rest of us the beautiful world of the trail. You've helped spark a lot of life and dreams in people, and I doubt that will end because you've decided to delay the finish of your journey!
    Wishing you both peace and joy as you finish your travels,
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ!!! Thanks so much! Ah man it's SO good to hear that we were such an inspiration! I'm super excited to see you soon and catch up with all your adventures and hikes!

      Delete