Saturday, June 2, 2018

Day 41!! 26.88 miles!!!



Alright guys!! Another photo heavy post for another super epic day! First off, today has been my longest day so far! What’s even crazier is I could’ve done a 30, but I held back and decided to not push too hard for no reason. What’s even CRAZIER is today I climbed over 6,400ft and dropped over 6,900!!

I woke up today with my alarm but snoozed it and didn’t end up leaving until around 6:30am. Keglegs was already gone. I think between the three of us I’m most likely to be the last out of camp on any given day. Julian said he had planned to get an early start, and since I camped only just over 2 miles from the hwy, I knew he’d catch up soon.

 Yesterday at the river I had cleaned my feet, slit all recurring blisters, and really took care of my feet. Today was the first day in a looooooong time that here was no blister pain all day! I felt great as I started hiking, where usually I’m sore for the first 1/2 mile or so. The beautiful terrain and views definitely added to my positive outlook on the morning:


Translation between desert mounds and granite cliffs..


Desert meets mountain


Looking back at the desert


And ahead at the mountains!

I had a really long winding climb, but was so excited about the landscape changing that I was blasting through effortlessly! I passed about 10 hikers before I ran into Keglegs. She was taking a break and I felt good so I kept going! I did my 10x10, and had done 16 by lunch time! I filled up at a cool creek and popped down in some nice, but buggy, shade.

Keglegs caught back up a few minutes later, and pretty soon Julian did too!! This kid was FLYING!! He had already done 18 miles and it was only about 1pm!! He and Keglegs talked about a potential 30 mile day and they took off in the heat. I decided to hang back in the shade and wait a little while longer and let the day cool down just a tad before I added to my day. I met a couple, Whoopee and I forgot his gf’s name. They had been nighthiking and were about to go down for a 4 hr nap when I left them shortly after 2pm.

I’m rocking my new long sleeve gear today as I sent my shirt and pants home, and I’m really liking them! I roll my sleeves up if it’s warm out in the morning, keeping cool until the sun pops out. Then I sunscreen my face and roll my sleeves down. Then when it gets too hot I roll my sleeves up and sunscreen my arms. It’s a great system and saves a bunch of sunscreen! The pants are nice too, just not used to them yet and I got preeeetty sweaty! I am chaffing on my hips a little from the belt and on my low back from the pack pressing the shirt down on my skin. I recall this happening two years ago and eventually it goes away.


I’ve walked 1/4 of the PCT!!

This felt so amazing to pass!! I’ve done 1/4 in 40 days. Since my goal is 150 days, I’m actually right on track! I’ll be going even FASTER than I am now through much of North California and Oregon. After today I ONLY have less than 2000 miles to go!

I’ve really enjoyed the desert this time, I think more than I did two years ago. Lower temperatures (highest mayyyybe was 91° for one day, where last time had multiple 100°+ days), been really lucky with the storms and have managed to miss them all, a lighter base weight and less clothes, and last but not least, some seasonal creeks had water in them that didn’t in 2016, making for shorter water carries at times, and easier filtering. 

Today really felt like I was leaving the desert behind and entering the big mountains. I am a little nervous this year about snow and crazy river crossings, but I’m full steam ahead and excited for my upcoming experience!!







My last view of the desert..


Standing in the same spot as the picture above it, just turned around facing the mountains, (and actual grass!)


Foavorite pic of the day.... ahhhhhh...

I went 10 more miles from my lunch spot, when I saw Julian’s name in the sand in a dirt road with an arrow pointing to the campgrounds just 0.2 miles off-trail. There wasn’t much for flat camping around so I decided to go find him and set up camp for the night.

He had done 29.3 miles today!! His longest yet as well! He could’ve easily done the 30, but didn’t want to have to go like 10 more miles to find the next flat spot, and we climb up sharply tomorrow. Around an hour later, Keglegs showed up too, not quite making her 30 either. I’m stoked that I made it almost 27 miles today, over some big climbs and drops, and that my body/feet feel great! I know I’ll have plenty of time to go 30+ for a few days later on up the trail, and I can’t wait! Tomorrow we push 20+ miles to Kennedy Meadows, the gateway to the Sierra!!

Thanks for reading!!









No comments:

Post a Comment