Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Day 134, 13.9 miles

Again I was one of the last people out of camp. You know what though? I like it that way! The mornings are cold and sometimes it isn’t fun to get up at 5:30am! The day stays much cooler than the desert did so I actually find myself breaking less during a tough day, therefore justifying my sleeping in! Hahaha...


Hello morning spider


Hello morning pit toilet!! (What a treat) 


Hello giant morning mushroom! 

The were only 8.3 miles to go until Steven’s Pass, so I was booking down the trail. I soon ran into Cheesesteak and we hiked and talked for couple miles together. Aside from two big hills, the trail was all down and super super pretty! At one point Cheesteak stopped for some water and I kept on. I broke out onto the ski hill, and I could NOT get enough of the red huckleberry bushes, so pretty!!






Who knew power lines could be so pretty?




Gotta come back on the winter to shred!


One of my favorites of the day

Washington is SO PRETTY!! It’s quickly becoming my new favorite state of the hike. Actually, I’m sure it already is! In a future summer I want to bring Claire to all these beautiful sections of trail! I soon descended upon Steven’s Pass lodge area, where the rest of the gang was as well as some other hikers I didn’t know.




Steven’s Pass

I got my package from the lodge and ate a super delicious panini and drinking a session beer. My mom sent me a lot of great food! Happy Feet accidentally sent herself double her normal amount, so I scored a lot of quality oatmeal combinations and tons of Cliff bars and Kind bars. I’m all set for the next section and I didn’t spend a dime on trail food! I’m so thankful! (You’re the best mom!)

The rest of the group all want to spend a night in Leavenworth and hike out tomorrow afternoon. I feel well rested and I really don’t like spending money on lodging when I don’t feel like I need to do laundry or shower. Also, Leavenworth is waaaaaay East and I needed to go the opposite direction. I said goodby to everyone, and with my food all set, I walked down to the highway to hitch West into Skykomish. Numbers was down at the road hitching East to Leavenworth. I stood across the street and only had to wait about 25 minutes until someone stopped for me!

In about 15 minutes I was in the little 150 person town of Skykomish. I headed straight for the post office. When I was outside someone drove up and told me that if I needed a ride back to the trail later, I should head to Cascadia Inn and ask for Chris. I went in to the PO and got my package from Claire with my 15° sleeping bag! I was like a little kid on Christmas! 

I sent my 40° bag back and headed to the Cascadia Inn for more food! I saw Snow White and Bear Cub there, as well as a few other hikers I didn’t know. I had a great burger and a chocolate milkshake, and then hung out in the Inn’s TV room in a lazy boy. I almost fell asleep! There was a local there and he and I started talking about Victoria, BC, and all sorts of other things.

It turns out this guy was Chris! The one who I was supposed to find for a ride back to Steven’s Pass! Since I was still charging my phone and battery, he said he could take me up later and so we stayed there and chatted for almost an hour! He’s so smart and has worked in SO many different fields! He has worked in Stehekin for 7 years, has headed trail work and improvement teams, has rescued people from the mountains, along with many other random attributes!

This guy Chris is responsible for the new monument that is now at the Northern Terminus for the PCT. He was able to trade one of his six original 1934 Pacific Crest National System (system, not trail,) markers for $15,000 worth of wood to make the monument, saving the PCTA from that cost. Anyways, long story short, super cool guy!

When all my stuff had charged, Chris took me back up to Steven’s Pass. He had told me about a must see lake just over 5 miles in called Lake Valhalla. The trail was flat for a few miles and then there was some climbing to be had. I’m so glad Chris gave me the recommendation for the lake about 0.2 miles off trail; it was so beautiful!! 


Definitely coming back to Valhalla Lake...

I went down to the beach to take the above picture, and then went back to the trail to set up camp in a nice flat area up top. A met a hiker named Croissant who stopped by and hung out for a second before continuing on a bit further for the night. He told me of how his friend had fallen off a cliff over 100ft just North of Snoqualmie (right after the Catwalk area). The friend miraculously only broke his ankle, and Croissant Showed me pictures and a video of the helicopter rescue. So crazy!!

After he left no one else came around for while and I thought I might have the place to myself, but a little later a hiker named Smiley Face showed up, and then two other hikers Smokebeard and Faceplant. Then after that Baby Blanket showed up! I’m camped near trees but not quite under them, near a beautiful open meadow where Baby Blanket just spotted an adult fox!! The stars are beautiful and the night sky is clear.


I am warm again in my 15° bag! :) 

Thanks for reading!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment