Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Day 18, 4.54 miles



I slept in a little bit after such a long day. I knew I only had about 4.5 easy miles to get to big bear, and I didn’t want to get there TOO early! Within the first mile I came across the road that Claire, Josh, and I used to reconnect with the PCT after our huge road walk in 2016. Ahhh the memories! That picture is above. 

Step on plants with boots. Got it. Thanks sign..

I only had a handful of Ritz crackers, 22 gummy bears, and two bits of Kim’s Bar Rasperry Chocolate to get me to the highway, so I had a nice pep in my step. The sun was quick to rise and as always the two hours after sunrise were SO beautiful!






Nice house! New windmill in two years?

I still got to highway a lot earlier than I expected; about 8am. There were a couple vehicles there with some trail magic and quite a few other hikers. A lady approached me and told me that she was doing a survey/questionnaire on cell phone usage on the PCT. I completed a survey on the iPad while drinking root beer and eating chips, bell peppers, hummus, and M&M’s.

The survey was actually pretty neat and only took a couple minutes. Soon I was on the road attempting to hitch. It only took about 3 minutes before I got a ride! This man was headed to the airport between Big Bear City and Big Bear Lake. He has done a few hundred miles of the PCT over a couple years. He dropped me off at the main intersection in Big Bear City.

I didn’t even have time to stick out my thumb and the next vehicle that passed screeched to a halt in the dirt turnout nearby. He said he was going into Big Bear Lake! (Where the hostel is located) He had an awesome 4x4 truck. We stopped by his house so he could drop something off for his kid, and soon I was at Denny’s :)


Standard issue hot chocolate


The “I’m hungry all the time” special

I decided to stuff my face here instead of go straight to the hostel firstly because I was STARVING! But secondly because the hostel opens up at 10am with a first-come-first-serve policy to stay the next night, and it was only 8:30am. While I was there I texted Julian and he was a two minute walk away at the coffee roasters nearby!

After stuffing myself super full, I wobbled over and met him. He was so stoked to see me, as was I! I’m glad we’re hiking together and that I’ve made a good friend out here. We sat for a few more minutes, killing just a bit more time, and then walked over to the hostel a few minutes before 10am.

As we walked up we were greeted by Sarge, the owner, who told us there would be plenty enough vacancy for us since a TON of people left early this morning. These people had stayed 2-3 nights waiting for the bad weather to pass and healing there hiking-wounds. He also asked me if I knew Trout, (who had tworked there for years and told me about the hostel back at Lake Morena). I was pleased to inform him that he was close on our heels!

He gave us the rundown and rules, and we had our door codes! First things first was a shower! I found some sweet loaner clothes in a big bin outside and got all this dirt and grime off myself! I also washed my dreads and they feel so nice now :)



I then picked up my birthday package that Claire had sent me, and inside was a sweet card, some food and snacks, individual icy hot packets for muscles, but best of all, a new thick bracelet to replace the one I lost at Carmen’s!! (I’m wearing it in the picture above)


Yay! I’m never taking this off :)

The second I was all showered and settled in, the helper popped his head in and said he was headed to Stater Bro’s, the big grocery store in town. I know how hard of a hitch that can be from experience back in 2016, so I took him up on his offer. Julian and I zipped over with a third hiker, and soon we were back with some loot!


13.2 pounds of loot!!

This might seem excessive, but it IS a 103 mile stretch next, and since I almost ran out of food into Big Bear, I decided I’d rather be safe than sorry for a 5.5 day section, especially if I plan on busting those 20+ mile days. (Some of this was sent by Claire)

There is a McDonalds at Cajon Pass in a couple days, but maybe I’ll be less inclined to gorge myself on that since I’m bringing so much food! Speaking of food, around 5pm, Julian, Keglegs, Draggin’, and myself headed to the Big Bear Brewey! I met Keglegs and Draggin’ today, they are super cool people!


Hawaiian burger (with decent teriyaki sauce!)

After dinner I was able to call some family and my bebita. I also took care of my few small blisters and it was time to relax! I hung out with some other hikers for a couple minutes before deciding it was time for bed! When I entered my room at about 8:30pm, I walked into this!


Draggin’ munchin’ on Ruffles and Julian munchin’ on gummy bears! The hiker hunger never stops!

Well, sorry I didn’t take many photos of the hostel. It’s a cool place with cool owners and a great vibe. I’d definitely stay with them again in the future, maybe when visiting Bug Bear for some snowboarding and skiing later down the road.

We intend on getting a decently early start tomorow, but also want to make sure we’re fully rested. We’ll see how late we sleep in..

Thanks for reading!


11 comments:

  1. The windmill was there yesterday too. I too took note of that property as it looked so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dreads be needing some TLC and maintenance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They’ve actually gotten tighter and neater in their own since! That was post-shower :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, those photos of those soft clouds coming in, after the helpful boot sign, are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad the bracelet fits well and got to Big Bear in time!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the new bracelet my love :)

      Delete
  4. Hike strong! You’re Killin it! Drink your water!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job! We, Lure & Melon (aka Ruth Anne & Mark) are reading along with lots of excitement for you and fond memories. Happy trails and find some shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I’m glad you guys are following along! :)

      Delete