Friday, May 18, 2018

Day 28, 14.94 miles

I broke a record today! The latest I’ve ever slept in! Haha. I knew the KOA in Acton (and therefore water) was only 5 miles away and that Agua Dulce and Hiker Heaven was less than 10 past that! It was such a pretty morning at camp:



I didn’t leave until around 7:45am and it felt great! I know I sound like a broken record but again: the morning was super beautiful...



I got to the Acton KOA a little before 10, and got a nice bean and cheese and green chili burrito plus some Cheetos and ice cream :) (that strawberry one on the stick with all the pink and white crumbly dots on it. You know the one..)

Again, as with all places I refuel and rehydrate at, I forgot to take any pictures of the KOA or the little store. I ran into Happy there and also saw Meat Gazer and Smoother there! Also, Julian texted me and he was only about 7 miles behind me!

The empty showers and laundry machines there were tempting, as I knew there’d probably be a lot of people at Hiker Heaven, but I didn’t get to spend any time there in 2016, and I really just wanted to get there at a reasonable time today. So, I filled up two liters of water for the last 10 miles and headed back out!





Not even 3.5 miles later I stopped at this cool cave just off trail that I remebered from last year. It was high noon so I figured I’d cool off, drink some water, and have another burrito :) This time with chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut shreds. Ah, hiker life is good!!


The view from lunch-cave 

When I left the cave I felt pretty good! I climbed up a bit more and then was soon in the Vasquez rocks area. It was very beautiful! 










Dad and Micah and I climbed the top of that pointy rock in 2016!



After that the trail hit the road with under a mile left until Agua Dulce.





Right when I walked over to the town center, I got more free pizza! This time from the pizza place! That’s 10 free slices in like 4 days!! They should named this the Pizza Crest Trail!! On top of that, the “shuttle” going to Hiker Heaven came soon after!


Hiker trash shuttle


Hiker sardines!!

When we arrived to Hiker Heaven, it was just that!! A hiker’s paradise! Lots of tents and laundry and showers and hiker boxes and people lounging in the shade, what a great place!!


Hiker dimes and tents in the back


So many hiker boxes!


A hiker feast!

First things first was to take a shower and get my laundry in the queue to be done. This was my first shower in almost 200 miles since Big Bear! As in I have literally not taken off my hiking shirt or shorts for about 9 days, hahaha. I lounges around in some loaner clothes and relaxed the day away! There are rides into town about every hour and a half.. of course I went back to eat some more!


Giant stuffed quesadilla, mmmmmm!!!


Back at Hiker Heaven, I took selfies with dogs, drank some beer, and did more relaxing and socializing

I was so lazy to set up my tent, and I was also in a food coma, so I decided to just head over to one of the little hiker domes that they have set up for cowboy camping. I was able to get one all to myself! It’s super super late and I’m very tired, but I am happy to be here :)

Thanks for reading!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment