Friday, July 13, 2018

Day 79, 15.5 miles

Last night there were a couple crazy and fearless deer around my tent. This sounds like a strange complaint, but they eat quite loudly. Haha. They are constantly munching and ripping the grass with their big flat teeth, and although I knew they were deer, it was still unsettling to wake up every once in a while hearing branches snap and heavy breathing nearby! I was still able to sleep ok and didn’t feel too terribly tired in the morning. I was on the trail by 6am!


Lassen peak in the distance dead center 


The trail and grade basically all day. Pretty nice! 


You know where I’m headed!!

So, I recently passed the 1100, 1200, and 1300 mile markers without mentioning them. At this point I’m doing 100 miles in 4 days, and there is also way less giant signs that people make this far in. One thing that is worth mentioning and is super exciting is this:


The PCT midpoint!!


Ooooooo, I’m halfway there,


Oooo-OO! I’m hiking on a pra-yer!

Haha! I’m halfway there! Crazy huh?!? It feels long but still short at the same time! It took me 79 days to get to this point, with only 3 zeros on trail if I don’t count the 5 days off trail I took with Claire. She pointed out that in 2016 we got off the trail on July 7th, at mile 907, just 4 days before this day at mile 1,331 this year!! 

After this mark I was just a few more miles from the road to hitch into Chester. I flew down the hill and did 15.5 miles by 11:15am! Fireball and 2 other hikers were already at the road (the two hikers that gave me the trail mix and gummy bears at Belden). Fireball is a hiker that I met at the halfway marker and took my picture for me! It didn’t take long to get a hitch in! It was an awesome family who had just dropped some hikers off at the trailhead. They offered us a ride back into town! We got dropped off at the Pizza Factory.

At the Pizza Factory they had an all you can eat salad, pizza, and drink buffet from 11am-3pm. I didn’t take any photos because I was busy eating a WORLD of PIZZA!!! I had about 8 slices... Four huge salad plates as well as 3 large raspberry iced tea refills! Whew! I ate a lot y’all! On the way out the door I ran into a strange looking bug! I also ran into Peter (from South Africa), and remebered to take a pic this time!


A zebra bug?!


Peter at the Pizza Factory!

I headed over to the Lutheran church grounds where there was some free camping for PCT hikers. I did a nice hobo-rinse with the water faucet and set up my tent in a sweet spot! Then it was off to the dollar general store for a resupply! I was able to get all the food I need for this next short 90 mile stretch and some other supplies like shaving cream and a razor! In my next stretch to Burney (another moderately large “small town”), there are two small places each within .03 miles of the trail, (Drakesbad Hotsprimgs and Resort and Old Station), where I will stop at to eat some food!

By then of course it was time for another calorie-gorging session. What better way to celebrate the halfway point on the PCT than a nearly 40oz milkshake?! Chocolate peanut butter banana was the right choice for sure :)


Bigger than yesterday’s pinecone!!

I was one of 3 people in the place when I ordered my shake and claimed a nice booth. Not 20 minutes later the place was packed! I stayed for a few hours, enjoying the nice A/C and outlets plus the WiFi I could just barely get from the next door RV park. Within that time I watched 3 more waves of people come in every so often. This place is really popular!



After this I headed to the public shower room to shave. The bathroom had a mirror but didn’t have a sink, and I never realized how hard it is to shave without a sink! I was actually rinsing the razor with water from my water bottle, and trying to blow all the hair off so I could keep going with my crappy $1 dollar store razor! The things you learn to deal with out here on the PCT!

After all that fun I headed back to the church where many other hikers had set up their tents and were hanging out in the now-shaded porch. I spent a good while talking and catching up with people I had seen a few times as well as meeting a handful of people
I had never seen! Although I’m going pretty fast, there seems to be a few people who are doing 25 mile days consistently as well. I met a guy named Lucky today that I have seen everyday since the day I got into Belden. He hikes later into the day but then wakes up later, whereas I wake up earlier but also stop earlier.

Well, I got food, a huge shake, and I’m a liiiiittle cleaner than when I rolled in. Tomorrow the plan is breakfast at 6:30am at the cafe next door, and then back out to the trailhead!

Thanks for reading! 

4 comments:

  1. That is a HUUUUGE milkshake! 0o0
    Well bro, shave or no shave, I think you're looking pretty decent for having hiked over 1,330 miles on FOOT in the last 80 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That milkshake really tested my lactose intolerance! Hahaha

      Delete
  2. Yippee halfway!!! OMG that milkshake is as big as your head. Sounds like a nice stop. You’re doing an amazing pace.

    ReplyDelete