Monday, July 23, 2018

Day 88, 30.0 miles

Another big day in the books! It started off great with my decision to camp on the ridge last night paying off big time! The sun was rising right behind Shasta!






Toad Lake down below

What a beautiful morning! I usually try and get gone by 6:00am, but today I had to hang out and fully watch the sun peak over Mt. Shasta. I’m stoked that I’ve been able to see this mountain so much in the past hundred miles. I can’t wait to scope out the Oregon peaks from afar and hike closer to them! 

 Today was SO much flatter and easier than yesterday, it was GREAT! There was a small climb in the morning, but it wasn’t steep at all and it was under 5 miles. Then, we got to stay above 6,000ft and just meander slightly up and down or traverse long canyon walls on the flat! It was still a decently pretty day as well! I didn’t see any mosquitos at any of the water sources or during the hike today, only bees and flies which I’m fine with! 


Great use of a leaf for a water collector! 


Lots of cool red rocks. Can you see Shasta peaking its head out to say goodbye? Today might’ve been the last time I see it!

I didn’t camp with the rest of “The Boys”, (Magic, Chuck Wagon, and Stallion), so at first I wasn’t sure if I was ahead of them or behind. It turns out Stallion went an extra 5 miles last night and he’s probably long gone as I didn’t see him all day! Magic and Chuck Wagon passed me around lunch and I think they went farther than where I’m camping tonight. 

Ladies and gentlemen, you won’t BELIEVE what I found on the trail today!!


A trail magic cantaloupe!!


Perfectly ripe!!

That’s right, just after I took my lunch break, I was zooming down the hill, and not 20 minutes later did I see a cantaloupe just lying near the trail under a tree! On the sticker was written “Enjoy”, and on the melon itself was written “Trail”. I don’t know if this means “Enjoy the Trail”, or if there was once another cantaloupe next to it that said “Magic”. Either way, I knew it was (Trail Magic!)

I didn’t hesitate to knock on it for ripeness, cut it open with my knife and scoop and slice! My mama taught me well! I cut it into 12 slices thinking I’d give some to the others who I just passed after my lunch break. They must’ve taken a break right after that, because they took forever and I ate 9 of the slices! Hahaha. Cal, Chuck Wagon, and Cribbage were all still appreciative that I saved them some. This is definitely one of the best trail finds I can think of!! 



After a double lunch and a lot of cantaloupe, I was ready to put in some miles for a 30 mile day! I met a few other people today. There was Cribbage who I met a looooong time ago. He started in March. He and his wife Hobbit flipped up the trail because of too much snow in the Sierra. I got off trail for 5 days, they went to a family reunion for 8 days, got back down through the Sierra, and then flipped back up to Chester. Hobbit got off trail and now I catch Cribbage after Castella. What are the odds that after all that we’re in the same spot! Haha.

I also met Dr. Jones, Slide, Alex, and 4am. Slide is pretty familiar with Athlete’s Foot. He had a look at mine and says he thinks it looks more like blunt force trauma to that specific area of my foot. Like maybe I stepped right in the middle of a rock, or stepped on one of my stakes while wearing a flip flop around camp one night. I can’t remember any specific instance like that, but I know I step on stakes all the time, and I’m hoping that’s what it is instead of a fungus! Either way I’m continuing to monitor it, and if it gets itchy and flaky or spreads, I’ll know that it is Athlete’s Foot and get some anti-fungal cream in Seiad. 

Also, I’ve been saying “Say-ee-ad” this whole time, and I guess it’s pronounced “Sigh-ad”. Oops! 


I like this picture! 

Well folks, that’s about it! I’m pretty tired but also glad I got in a 30 today. The trail gets a lot more climby and descendy (yes, these are made up words to make things easier to say), and so I think I’ll be stocking with the 25-28 mile a day range until Seiad. I don’t want to make my foot worse whatever it might be! 

Also, if some of you are worried about all the fires in Oregon, and especially near the Oregon/California border, do not fear! I’m updated on all the fires and am monitoring them closely. When I get to Seiad I will decide what’s the best move, (alternates or skipping), and although I’d really hate to skip at this point since I haven’t broken my continuous footpath, I will chose my safety over my pride and make the right deduction when faced with it! (Also, the PCTA is very good at making trail closures known and working with different counties to keep hikers out of danger or possible danger). 

Almost to Oregon! Stoked to see my mom and finally take a zero! I will have not zeroed for 775 miles by the time I meet mom and take one! Whew!! 

Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment