Saturday, August 18, 2018

Day 113, 23.0 miles

This morning I woke up and looked to my left to see the beautiful Mt. Hood right there. I slept pretty dang well for cowboy camping, and I took my sweet time getting out of my sleeping bag. Clean Turkey left before the sun rose over the mountain and we didn’t see her for the rest of the day. Verde and Manza and I decided to stay and watch the sun say hello. Since Hood is over 11,000ft, and the sun rose directly behind it, we didn’t see it pop up from behind until about 7:40am!


Ahhhh :)

Needless to say we sort of got a late start out of camp, but I don’t think any of us minded at all. The haze and smoke was pretty bad today, so I didn’t take too many photos. Around 2 hours in we crossed the Sandy River. Then, less than an hour after that, we were at the gorgeous Ramona Falls.


Near the Sandy River


Ramona Falls


A nice mango for my 10:00am snack!!

I ate soooooo much fruit and berries today, I loved it! There were non-stop huckleberries all day! Also there were Salmonberries and Thimbleberries. I also got some grapes from another hiker later in the day! My favorite kind of day! Manza and Verde and I soon caught up with Daddy, who had left Timberline last night as well, and the four of us hiked together basically all day.


Daddy under some power lines


Manza and Daddy


Dark, shiny, plump and ripe!!


Ahhhhh!!


Salmonberries! 

As you could tell from the mileage, we did a relatively “easy” day today. This is mainly because we stopped to pick berries every 5 minutes! I’m so glad I’m back up in the Pacific Northwest! I didn’t take many pictures of the actual trail because 90% of it looked like this picture down below:




And the thick hazy views all looked like this


Can you tell I’ve been eating lots of berries? Haha

Daddy and Verde and Manza all ended up going about 1.5 more miles than me. I hit a wall really hard and found a nice spot to camp on a ridge, and had enough water to dry camp and make it to where they camped in the morning with no problem. 

I mainly wanted to stop early to get caught up on my blog. If you see some entries with many less words and most of the content consisting of photos, it’s likely that I got behind on blogging and wrote it the next night or the next night after that! It seems silly, but it’s actually pretty difficult to find the motivation to fully detail each day every night. Tonight for instance I stopped at camp before 8pm and it’s now 9:45pm! Gotta hit the hay! Cascade Locks tomorrow!!

Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment