Saturday, August 18, 2018

Day 114, 21.1 miles

I woke up to a really hazy morning, but I was excited because I was so close to Cascade Locks! (I guess these days “so close” means over 20 miles away? Haha). There were once again plenty of berries to slow my progress down the mountain, but overall I did pretty well!


Nice views, haha


Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness (where Claire and I did our test hike in 2016 before the trail!)

I soon got to the top of Eagle Creek alternate near the Indian Sprigs Junction. In past years this is a popular parallel alternate to the PCT (similar to Crater Lake Rim alternate) going down into Cascade Locks. It runs through some (some would say most) of the most beautiful waterfalls and scenes the gorge has to offer. The trail is still closed as it was extremely damaged by the fire last summer in the Columbia River Gorge. The PCTA, along with other partnering organizations have worked extremely hard and fast to get the official PCT trail open so us hikers didn’t have to skip from Timberline Lodge!! 


Closure near Wahtum Lake


Wahtum Lake from the outlet

After the lake, the trail climbed back up to the final high ridge before starting the long descent into the gorge. The trail extremely burnt on and off but the trail and grade was in most excellent condition all things considered!


Climbing out of Wahtum Lake


Descending into the gorge


It’s true!!


Cascade Locks in the distance!

As I was about 2 miles from the town, I crossed the Dry Creek Falls trail. Although I knew Happy, Goatman, Daddy, Verde, and Manza were all already in town enjoying pizza and beer and ice-cream, I decided to take this short uphill detour to see one of my favorite little gems in the gorge!


Worth it!!




Dry Creek Falls

Absolutely beautiful! After this quick stop I flew down the last two miles to the Bridge of the Gods! This is my gateway into Washington, although I will not be crossing it today. Cascade Locks lies on the Oregon side of the gorge, and I won’t be stepping foot into Washington until Monday the 20th after PCT days and Claire’s shows in Portland are finished, what a tease! I did walk up to the bridge so I could say I’ve completed Oregon already :)


Bridge of the Gods!! (Better photos next week I promise!) Two states down one to go!!!

Only one state and 505.5 miles remain until Canada and my completion of the entire Pacific Crest Trail!! Woo-hoo! My main obstacle at this point is more fires (“Boooooooooo!!!!”) I know, I know, I feel you. My plan, just like it has always been, is continue North, stay prepared and alert, and deal with any closures when I get to them, and not stress out about them before I get there. I’m not trying to push my luck or challenge fate, but I’ve been extremely blessed with good weather and timing this far, and I know that it’s possible to still make a thru-hike this year! 

From the Bridge of the Gods I took a spur trail down into Cascade Locks and went straight to the Cascade Locks Ale House! This place is the hiker hub for the Locks and is super awesome! They have a free beer for hikers as well as a huge back patio area that they have basically sectioned off for us to hang out in! (Not to mention a HUGE hiker box with anything that a hiker could need!!) 


Yes this is a pizza burger and yes it was delicious :)


Daddy going in!!


Jules. A trail angel that works at the Ale House that Claire and I met in 2016 before we started our hike! It was great to see her after walking here from Mexico!

After a huge burger and two beers it was time for ice cream of course! I’m telling you guys, my hiker hunger is real and it is unstoppable! I can just eat and eat and eat and eat!!


“Chocolate Peanut Butter” and “Death by Chocolate”



After that the hiker trash train took a spur trail across from the Ale House, crosses the train tracks, and headed to Thunder Island Brewery; another hiker friendly establishment that offers a free hiker beer! They have a system set up where you can buy a future thru-hiker a beer! They buy a coaster for $5 and can sign it, and then we pick a coaster and can see who bought us the beer!!


Manza, Verde, Maui, and two others!


Front: Power Mode and Pabst, Back: Unknown!


Thanks for the beer Kristen!

While I was there hanging out with a bunch of hiker trash, you’ll never guess who rolled up!! It was “Beacon”, or Duane Teehee!! It was the triple crowned that the ranger at Scout Lake in Jefferson Park told me about who shares my last name! We talked for a few minutes and got a picture together. Crazy world!!


Beacon, another Teehee!!

I had reached out on Facebook to see if any of my friends wanted to come and pick Manza and I up from Cascade Locks, and my buddy Caleb had responded and said he would! He and his girlfriend Natalie came out to pick us up and take us back into Portland. Thanks so much Caleb! 


Back home with Star-Das! (Starlite)

It feels great to be back home! Today is Thursday and I’m planning on staying for the weekend and heading out on trail again on Monday! Manza and I will got back to Cascade Locks on Saturday for PCT Days, and then I will come back to PDX and watch Claire perform in Guys and Dolls! Like I said, it’s really great to be back home! I’m going to be pretty busy over the next few days, so I’m sorry if you live in Portland and are reading this and I haven’t reached out to hang out! I need to beat all these fires in WA and then when I’m back for good we will hang out! 

Thanks for reading!!

2 comments:

  1. So cool you got to meet Beacon! Did you find out if we have shared Oaklahoma relatives?
    I love blogs when we get multiple pictures of your dirty smiling face. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about the connections you all make. How fun to meet another Teehee!

    ReplyDelete